Please note that this is a general article about bean bag care and not only applies to Ambient Lounge bean bags, but also other well known brands such as Coast bean bags, Fatboy bean bags, Cocoon Couture Bean Bags, PIMP bean bags and even other lesser quality bean bags. This is to make customers aware of general bean bag care. It is a rough guide only so please check your bean bag cover labels for more specific information.
General Bean Bag Care:
Bean bags are normally much easier to care for and clean than traditional Sofas because of the removability of the covers and the fact that the fabrics can normally be hand or machine washed. A Sofa cover is almost always impossible to remove to clean, therefore spot cleaning is required. This is not the case with a bean bag. Some old style bean bags (blobs) that do not have any shapes contain an inner liner. However, whilst easy to remove, this is quite restrictive inside the bean bag and not comfortable for the user simply because the bean bag beads cannot go to every corner of the bean bag.
For Sofa shapes and other more modern designs like sofas or chairs, it’s very difficult to have this inner liner design for that very reason. The invention of the patented Funnelweb® Bean Bag system has allowed for this functional problem to be overcome. Invented by Ambient Lounge, the Funnelweb® is a zip system that allows for quick and easy decanting of beads. You can see how the revolutionary Funnelweb® bean bag system works here.
A Bean bag cover should be removed if in materials such as Cotton fabrics, Sofa Chenile, Heavy Polyester fabrics, Canvas Fabrics, Cotton Canvas, Denim Fabrics, Herringbone and can normally be cold machine washed or gently hand washed. You may remove the beans either by decanting or via an inner liner and wash cover separately. If the bean bag is made from Vinyl, leather or Faux leather, you should not remove but simply wipe clean with a damp sponge or lightly scrub.
Taking care of your bean bag chair not only keeps it looking new, but also extends the life of your chair. Use warm water and a mild detergent on a cloth to remove general dirty areas of the bean bag chair. Liquid dish soap or a surface spray cleaner is an example of a mild detergent. Do not use abrasive cleaners because they may scratch the fabric. Some household cleaners and solvents remove plasticizers, which may cause the vinyl to become brittle. Use a (soft bristle) toothbrush for stubborn marks. Use a clean cloth to wipe the fabric dry. Never immerse the bean bag chair in water. Cleaning Nylon Bean Bags that includes: Indoor / Outdoor bean bag popular brands such as Outdura, Elements or Sunbrella Nylon requires a similar process. For these outdoor fabric use a soft bristle brush and water with a mild detergent to remove general dirty areas of the chair. Apply to the area and brush with a circular motion and wipe clean with a dry cloth. If such mild detergents are not potent enough for stubborn marks, try using specialty cleaners made for cleaning vehicle fabrics. Convertible top cleaner will clean nylon and can be found at automotive care stores. Do not immerse in water. There may also be some beanbags made in fabrics like Microsuede, Microfibre, Faux Suede & Passion Suede. Do not dry clean this fabric unless the care label states that you can do it. You may remove the cover but it’s better and safer to use water and a mild detergent on a cloth to remove general dirty areas of the chair. Liquid dish soap is an example of a mild detergent. A spot fabric cleaner can also be used. Gently scrub area and wipe clean with a dry cloth. Again, do not immerse in water. For bean bags such as the Ambient Lounge® Roma Sofa with an easily removable cover, the covers are machine washable on a very gentle setting in cold water.
Other helpful hints on how to take care of your bean bag furniture:
- Keep them on a smooth surface such as floorboards and carpet. Do not place bean bags on rough surfaces such as concrete.
- Keep your dogs and cats away from them (though many of your pets may love the comfortof the beads). Some animals may puncture lesser quality bean bag fabrics. It’s advisable to give your pet its own bean bag bed.
- Whilst many high quality bean bags have strong stitching, the cheaper ones will not. Therefore do not jump on bean bag chairs as the seams can burst.
- Try to avoid sitting in the chair while wearing clothing/accessories with sharp metal edges. Again with lesser quality fabrics they can catch, split and burst.
- Buy bean bags with safety locking zips only. Beads are very dangerous if eaten and safety zips serve to keep them safe for small children or your younger kids. It is law in Australia and USA to sell bean bags only with Safety locking zips.
- Buy bean bags with a Funnelweb system compatibility. This means the bean bag is easier to clean by ‘Zip and tip’ method and safer around children because of less spillage.